Monday, February 8, 2016

The trek to Potowatomi State Park...


Holy smokes I'm writing a blog post! I am not sure why I just stopped... I think I was in denial about the whole experience coming to an end. I was stressing about going back to responsibilities, implementing the things I dreamt of and planned while hiking... could I actually succeed in real life? I live a life of transition... It just happens that way. I haven't spent more than a couple of years doing any one thing at a time, and most of the time its just months.  But I was back from a deployment and I didn't foresee another one coming up... I had graduated college only a handful of months before that, the college degree that had taken me 9 years to complete! - and no... I am not a doctor. I was attempting to make some big decisions in life and I just didn't know what to pick and choose... so I did what I do... freeze. And not write my blog.

I'm no longer frozen. I NEED to share the end of my Warrior Hike... So I will be writing a couple of posts.

I left off just outside of Mishicot. Mike, the CDR of the VFW picked Jenni and me up from Donna and Cliff's and dropped us off. She and I were at different spots on the trail, but would end up at the same place. My trail for the day was a short section of new trail and then all road. Only about 9-10 miles total and I walked directly to a trail angel's house. An amazing strategic place for a trail angel since the road section was 30+ miles. Leslie and Ron were some pretty awesome hosts. Leslie was wearing a Warrior Hike shirt as she is a big supporter of the program. She had reached out much in advance to Sean to let us know she wanted to and was available to help! How cool is that?!


I arrived before Jenni since she was doing many more miles. I go there early in the afternoon and Leslie took me to two local wineries!! (Jenni isn't such a fan of wine so we had her blessing to go without her).

I would like to sample this one, and this one, and this one, and this one......


That night Leslie and Ron invited over some family and friends for grilled burgers with wonderful sides and some ridiculously amazing deserts.

I had cat entertainment - a favorite type of entertainment as their cat spazzed out with her favorite types of toys.

The next day, Jenni and I took two different road routes. Neither of us took the exact book routh. Ron and Leslie recommended a route to shave about four miles off and still be on back roads, which I chose, and Jenni took a way that would shave off a few more miles but be on a busier road. The first 2-3 miles were trail and then it was all road.... and I wore my SHORTS (and my tank top).

At first I wanted to get sun... and then I regretted that life decision since road are too reflective!

This was the first big long day I had done in my shorts... and I burnt the Shiznet out of the back of my legs. I had brought my long sleeve shirt with and put that on before my shoulders and back got too much sun.  I didn't have sunscreen with me because I had given up on that for my face/arms long ago... I pulled off the side of the road under the shade of a singular shade tree to relieve my legs from the sun and dug around in my pack. I was slack-packing that day with Leslie's day pack (I went on to buy that same version pack after getting off the trail) but I had cooling gel in my med kit so I slathered on two single-serve packs of that on my calves. Instant relief and I think that is what saved me from being much worse off. I stayed in the shade tree (moving with the shade for about an hour)

After about a 23 mile day we called back to Ron and Leslie to pick us up. They treated us to lasagna and another night stay not having to sneak a place to stay.

Jenni choking out Leslie as a way to say thanks! ;)
Thank you Self-timer

The next morning was the last time I saw Jenni until meeting up with her at Potawatomi State Park.
My friend Dustin from my latest deployment picked me up that evening around 5pm and took his daughter and myself for ice cream - YUM!  I hit the 1000 mile mark in here, but had already posted those pictures, but that's my excuse for the ice cream... Just kidding... I eat ice cream for any reason - no excuse needed.

Cake Ice Cream

That evening I jumped on a trampoline with Dustin's daughter until I was dizzy, played with their goats, and Dustin and his wife grilled out brats and we had a yummy meal outside. So nice to catch up with another deployment friend along my hike. Although I didn't take any group photos!! GRUMBLE!

I wear my heart on my sleeve
Pure. Joy.

The following day or two were more roads and rail to trail walks... after such beautiful trail for so long, it felt underwhelming and a bit monotonous. However! I saw a herons, sandhill cranes, a pileated woodpecker (!!) as well as a badger!! The badger walked onto the trail, turned, and walked right toward me for a long enough while to make me feel uncomfortable about it!

Bucky!! I am an Alumni! Don't attack my face! PLEASE
I woke up to a beautiful sunrise the last morning on my own on the trail. I got up and going very early since I was stealth camping along a bike trail that someone had decided to drive about 30 mph down at 1am the night before. If I hadn't been off to the side, I would have been squashed. I haven't talked much about stealth camping... but for those that have to do it, be sure to always be safe first.

Almost died later that night...





Nice early morning for my last real day of hiking

So close :(

Looking back at this time... I now finally feel a bit more 'found'


No comments:

Post a Comment