Monday, February 8, 2016

Final Day of my Thru-hike July 30th, 2015 (still some section hiking to finish)

Eeeeeeee!!! FINAL SECTION!

I made it to the final section of the IAT. I got into Potawatomi State Park and attempted unsuccessfully to find the camp site that Jenni and Brian Wing (a Warrior Hiker - same Brian that hiked the first few days with us) had reserved. They were all at a carnival that was in town so Brian came to pick me up.

Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil


I'm the 'mom' at the carnival

Brian and his daughter enjoying the Ferris Wheel!
Jenni winning a Duck Dynasty Duck
The carnival was a pretty cool way to spend the night before finishing the hike. Of course I was being the 'mom' many times and holding all the winnings to include the large Duck Dynasty themed Duck that Jenni won. Not sure you all know this... but Jenni is AMAZING at winning games like the CLAW game and carnival games. Seriously impressive. I can't go on ride after ride anymore without feeling sick, so I was happy to play mom.


Final tent teardown... The night coming back from the carnival I set up my tent and had filled up my water bottle. I was spreading out my sleeping back and set my open water bottle down and thought to myself.. "Be super careful! Do NOT spill... this is not a good idea to be doing this, just be careful." I got my sleeping bag successfully spread out and then backed up and spilled the water bottle on my sleeping bag. Brian had the brilliant idea to spread it on the car hood as it was cooling down from being driven... this dried it out! Awesome! So my final night camping was not a sopping wet one.

The next morning, we putzed around and then started on our very short hike to the end of the trail. The day had arrived. 

Hiking the last two miles or so!
Brian and his fat-tire bike! They are so FUN!

And then suddenly... there were my parents!
My biggest supporters - I'm lucky

But my parents weren't the only ones who came for our finish!

Brian, David and his wife from VFW Post 6905 (from 4th of July), Jenni, Leslie and her neighbor, mom, me, dad
At the end!

David brought Jenni and I Red Belgium from New Glarus!! CHERRY!




Jenni and my IAT adventure together..... coming to a close
Sturgeon Bay VFW group photo after they arranged for a delicious meal! Again - VFW support was simply amazing.

And I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be that... girl who kisses the sturgeon

During the car ride home... I just remember looking out of the car and passing the tasseled out corn. Days before I had walked by the fields and was hit by the sweet smell. All I could think was now was that "I am going so fast I can't even smell the sweetness." I was very sad about that. The pace of my life was already back to full-speed. I was home in about 2 hours... what had taken my legs weeks.

I did something I honestly was not sure I could do... I stepped out of my comfort zone more than I ever had done (on purpose). I feel like I am capable of almost anything.

I had to finish the hike one day earlier than planned and the VFW, Brian and Jenni were all willing to jump through a few hoops to accommodate that change so we could finish together. I had to finish because still being a drilling member of the WI Army National Guard... sometimes they make you do things at super short notice and for absolutely no logical reason, like show up for one day to do something that doesn't need to be done... but I suppose - I picked it :)

The day after my hike... back in uniform.


I feel like I need to post multiple quote meme things...


I love Shel Silverstein so its fitting he would have this to say. The ending was difficult, but endings are necessary to ever have a start. So I have to remind myself to not be afraid of what that ending may be, but just enjoy everything as much as possible leading up to it.



I am an overthinker.... working on it.


There are people whom I haven't seen in a long time and fall immediately back into place with. Then there are those that have come flaming into my life and light it up and then leave; but created beautiful memories.  Others I have simply grown apart from. And some people I hold onto, but need to learn how to let go. The difficult part for me is figuring out who is who.


No comments:

Post a Comment