Sunday, February 14, 2016

A porcupine and a fisher - An analogy for my thoughts on LOvE

Today is Valentine's Day. To go with that theme I will write a blog entry about love.

"I'll literally eat your heart out." said the fisher to the porcupine.
About a quarter of the way through my hike. I visited a the Chippewa Moraine visitor center for a longer time than planned due to rain. Next to each other were a stuffed - together forever - fisher and porcupine.  I have a friend who studied these two creatures and I can't see them without thinking of the guy - but am so happy to have learned a fraction of what he knows about the porcupine and the fisher... and now I will share it with you. This is what I wrote that day about the topic I just copy/pasted it from my phone's notepad:


"As my mind wonders from place to place while my feet keep my body going along, I got to thinking about love and also porcupines. I have come to think the porcupine and fisher represent love very well. Porcupines, once fully grown are susceptible to two things: 1) Falling out of trees, and 2) fishers (big weasels). No other animals readily mess with a porcupine. The porcupine has built a quill fortress that cannot be penetrated by let's say 99% of predators out there. But that one predator knows just how to handle it - the fisher.  Although the porcupine has built so much protection, the fisher gets the porcupine on its back and eats it from the soft unprotected belly side. Do you see where I am going with this? You can have quills and think you are safe from anyone getting in, but someone WILL get in... And then before you know it you are on your back with your heart eaten out.  All that's left is an empty shell when he or she is done with you. Its inevitable. The next time you get hurt, and you finally fix all your insides, you try to make your quills a little bit longer for more protection, but there is always a fisher looming."

Here's to the fishers out there... Happy Valentine's Day you weasels ;) Keep eating hearts.

Take from my analogy what you will... its useless to try and ignore love, love sucks, love is great... I wrote a bunch more about it all, but it got to be a bit deep. Instead I deleted it and uploaded this porcupine video!


 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. xo Happy Valentines day to you too! Love you.

    ReplyDelete