Friday, May 1, 2015

T-2 days: Last night in my own bed

Tomorrow morning bright and early I am on my way up to St. Croix, WI. I will be meeting with Sean Gobin, the guy who started Warrior Hike along with Brian Wing, the Ice Age Trail Coordinator. They will be hiking with us for a few days. The VFW in St. Croix has also organized a little welcome shindig to send us on our way. I am very excited to meet so many wonderful people.

Its... its........... so beautiful.


I repacked tonight and then strapped that baby on my back... and thought, "Hmmm... this isn't so bad" with an immediate follow-up thought of "I hope I still think this way after carrying it around a few days!"

Then came the BIG REVEAL. I put the pack on the bathroom scale. Only thing not loaded into it is filled water bottles. So minus the water bottles it clocked in right around 29 pounds. SWEEEET!!! See that tied up purple handkerchief? Ya, that is my pee rag. Been told that's the way to go. So now you know that... you're welcome. (also notice the hand sanitizer)

I added some last minute things, a large can of bug spray with Deet, along with all the natural insect repellents I have... which may or may not actually work. I'll let you know. The ticks are horrible. I chose to pack additional first aid supplies because I have met myself. Added in rope to tie up my food bag. If Yogi comes out he won't get my pic-a-nic basket. I love food and I will protect it. I also worked with my water filtration system tonight, previously I just watched the you-tube video on it.


I have a few things I'm taking even though they add weight. First of all, a chocolate bar. It may just be the single most important thing I packed. A notebook and two pens, an itty bitty pair of binoculars (I am a bird watcher) and a real life book. Its about math. BOOO!!! Secondary goal to finishing the IAT is to study for the GREs along the way. I am going to be the stinky girl in class... ie library.


My Emergency Supply
Image result for hiking supplies quotesIn addition to my backpack, I packed my very large red suit case with a heck of a lot extras. Extra food, clothes, a water filter, dry bags, (I am still on the hunt for trash compactor bags. Guess nobody in central Wisconsin uses trash compactors, so I will have to order some) more books, shoes, first aid stuff etc. This emergency pack is if I get stuck, it can hopefully be brought to me by my parents. Its what parents do best, rescue their children. The suitcase is packed to the brim. Pretty much every single outdoor thing I own is in it.

Finishing touch to my add to my pack


Tonight is the last night I am in my own bed, tomorrow a hotel bed (thank you VFW!) and then... my sleeping pad and I will be the best of friends.

Think I have to go attach my cool little patch now.
Oh - and adding the trail atlas which I just realized is not inside the pack... who left that out?!
 

1 comment: