Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day 4 - 42.6 miles in

First step.
A lot has happened in four days. On Saturday we met with the VFW Post and American Legion in St. Croix, WI and I met Sean, Brian and (for the second time) Jenni. 

Today was the first day Jenni and I hiked on our own together and I am extremely slow moving right now because my feet are F*%&+d up. Blister cover the bottom, while my big toe on my left is in the very active process of revolting and commencing in a slow, painful ooozy, puss-infused death.
Its mostly my own fault. Wore some shoes I've never had issues with... But my pack is heavy so I was getting some blisters. 


 

Went to Walmart, bought a shit pair of shoes thinking I just have a few days in them they should be okay. Feet went on strike and I'm going to lose at least one toenail. Today I hiked in my good old trusty shoes again and it went okay considering I'm injured and only went about 4 to 5 miles today. (Still slightly ahead of schedule though thanks to day two being a 17 mile toe-killing, blister-inducing day).

Anyhooo, the trail itself has been b.e.a.utiful. Seriously. The wild flowers are out and some areas look like they are carpeted.

Trilliums were out as of late afternoon yesterday in full effect. Mosquitoes are just starting. But TICKS are out in an incessant force that when you pull of seven every few feet of walking you are in a permanent state of 'the heeby-jeebies' just hoping they stay where you can see them. i.e. - not the butt crack. Ticks were my number one worry out here. My worry is not irrational, as many fears in life seem to be.  My second worry are those days where its going to rain rain rain, and I can't get dry for a day or more.

With that said I may not need to worry because the trail angels out here have been AMAZING thus far.  Camping locations are not always obvious or even permitted on the IAT. Our spectacular first night camping was spent on the St Croix River, watching a pair of bald eagles carry fish to their nests. 'Gray Ghost' came to visit us, told us some stories and gave Jenni and I an Ice Age Trail Alliance (IATA) handkerchief, plus helped Sean out with the rental car. The next night we spent sleeping in the back yard of Wren Cafe in the town of Luck, WI. The Lunden's are long time IATA supporters and supplied the yummiest food and most generous and awesome people. We woke up to a mouth watering breakfast and coffee. Then the next night was spent on Dean's, yet another trail angel's property. He had bike paddle boats there and a kayak/doc... Not to mention he brought us a six pack of Spotted Cow and bananas and a thing of new skin to help my feet in the morning.





That brings us to now, day four. We are back in a hotel at Luck and Dr. Sean, as I call him, did more blister popping on my feet, we got to shower and de-tick plus do laundry. I was incredibly smelly. Last night I was in denial all day of hiking trying to ignore the feeling in my big toe because as soon as I saw it I knew I would freak the f out.... So last night when I removed my sock I did just that... freaked the f out for a while... He lake paddled, came back and with Brian as my moral support, Sean worked his magic with a needle and baby wipe. Thank goodness for Jenni being okay with gross things because my feet make me want to puke. "Can't even." For those that know me, you are aware how averse I am to anything gross the body does. I don't handle these things well.... This toe thing is nasty even without being all that crazy painful. More of a dull pulsing throb.

My happy or sad toes taking a bath
Tomorrow Jenni and I are back on the trail. We will see how far my feet will take me. Surprisingly, very little else on me hurts even with a 40+ pound pack. Just my feet are sabotaging this. She is cruising right along, I'm the slow one, but she is patient enough thus far ;)  Jenni and I did learn a valuable lesson today though when we did a white blaze instead of a yellow blaze loop section of the IAT. Essentially adding about two miles onto today to go absolutely nowhere... Not a big deal except when your TOENAIL IS FALLING OFF! Lesson learned for both of us.

So mad about doing a white blaze loop!!!
Tomorrow Sean and Brian are off to their home state and Jenni and I will be entrusted to navigate ourselves. With our valuable lesson today, think we will be okay.





2 comments:

  1. Oh my god. I believe in you. Xxxhugsxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good balance of beautiful and ugly pictures for your first post from the trail. Take care of your feet and you can do it!

    ReplyDelete