Monday, June 29, 2015

Spoiled rotten, that's what I am

How am I going to go back to reality after this? I spent one day this week sleeping outside and that is where I left off with my last blog.

The next day I walked or should I say floated my farthest I have gone in one day - about 21 miles. My feet felt AMAZING! My super bright, Blue-Footed Boobie shoes have invoked the inner bird spirit and I feel capable of flying through these miles now. Now I kind of want to see what my limits are.... might have to have some long days coming up.

Part of the reason my day was so long was because I had killed some time checking out the the Aldo Leopold Center, but his shack is only open for tours on Saturdays, so I didn't see it. Its like people who live in NYC and never saw the Statue of Liberty, I need to get up to Aldo Leopold's Shack. Two WI great naturalists, Aldo and John within a week that part of the state seemed to have some inspiring beauty.
Going back

I then proceeded to walk or should I say... drift, into the driftless area of the state. That's right, hills. I was into some serious scenery and Wisconsin's most popular State Park - Devil's Lake. That night I was debating whether to camp or not and I took an hour and a half break at Parfrey's Glen. Then I decided to call my friend Kristine to see if she would pick me up that night instead of our original plan of the following day. She said she would and so I started to move! I had six miles to go and had to get a move on.

When I got into the camp site area of Devil's Lake I passed a guy walking three dogs on the opposite side of me. As I walked by he goes, "Are you Natalie? - Natalie Koffarnus?" Kind of in shock I say that I am and he says his name is Bill. I had heard his name for years as he is a friend of a friend - GWEN- are you surprised? He had stopped into the park just to walk the dogs and here I pass by.  He is another fellow National Guard member, but we had never crossed paths in all the years before, but here we ran into each other randomly in the park. He turned and walked with me to the main parking area and we chatted about the trail and long distance runs until I called for my ride.
He's a real person!

That night Chris, my friend Kristine's hubby came to pick me up and I requested to be taken to Culver's, which upon getting I quickly devoured - eating my ice cream FIRST. That night, I showered and did some laundry and stayed up chatting with Kristine until about midnight. Kristine planned to walk with me the next day. I had my doubts since only a few months ago she was completely immobile and using one of those scooters because of ankle surgery. However, she felt confident and we both took day bags for the loop around Devil's Lake. So thankful I didn't have to have my big pack with me that day. Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail people probably would laugh, but those are some serious climbs up those rocks for WI. That day she and I went about seven miles and then were joined by another of my friend's - Ruth who joined for the last seven gnat and horse fly-filled miles. The day was gorgeous and we found more black berries. Kristine's ankle held up wonderfully. Our day ended right before getting onto the ferry in Merrimac. That night I had a delicious meal with them and my spoiling continued.

To be those that actually do push over balanced rock... just walk away - act cool.
There is a trail in those rocks
Friends!
The next morning Kristine dropped me off, I crossed the ferry and hiked a short section before she once again came out to join me for the Gibraltar Rock Segment. What a beautiful short little hike! If you want to views and not the masses of people, go to this segment. Here is where Kristine really proved her stamina as we continued our hike it began to rain. She stuck with me even when I got her lost behind the Lodi High School. After about an hour or so of getting drenched and walking in shoes that went squish with each step we called for Chris to pick us up. I loooove being able to go inside after being soaked. Kristine had surgery, did 14 miles one day, and she did 9 miles the next day and hiked in the rain. She got some true Ice Age Trail experiences under her belt, and I got two days of slack-packing and some days filled with non-stop conversation. Is amazing though because we were talking for 2.5 days pretty much straight, and STILL I had to call her the next day because we talked so much about the past and present, I didn't even know that in the future she was taking a trip!

I just 'walked' a mile... it was so easy I thought I was floating
Merrimac Ferry
Silly
We hiked up there - Gibraltar Rock
Even the rain can't bring down our spirits!
The next day I was back out there and walked walked walked, it was a lot of road walking and a two mile loop segment. I got out of the loop and then checked facebook and saw a post about fireworks in Madison. I made a quick call to my friend Tami and about two hours later I was picked up and on my way into Madison to enjoy some fireworks. I had not even been thinking about them since its not even July! I had a blast that night catching up with friends, drinking a few beers and just living the life topped off with fireworks.
4th of July fun!
I missed these puff-balls!
Breakfast the next morning with Tami and back out on the trail. I got a message from a seasoned Ice Age Trail hiker that day offering to come hike a bit. I didn't have much left until I was going to be picked up by the VFW, but of course appreciate company. Jared came out to meet me and we chat like we have known each other for much longer than two minutes and it made the time and section go by in the blink of an eye. We both got sprinkled on and when we walked out of the segment, my VFW contact, Bud, was there waiting.
New trail friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment